Breastfeeding time provides the best avenue for bonding between a mother and her child.
To make the most of the moment means making it as fun and comfortable as possible for both the nursing mother and her baby.
Certain gears make breastfeeding worthwhile, be it a nursing bra or a nipple soothing cream; these items ensure maximum comfort during the nursing period.
A breastfeeding pillow is one of such gears that make breastfeeding worthwhile. Below are the best breastfeeding pillows to use when breastfeeding.
Why You Need a Breastfeeding Pillow
Be it for your baby’s comfort or that of your baby, a breastfeeding pillow undoubtedly provides comfort and makes the entire process easier.
But more than just comfort, there are several other reasons you may need a breastfeeding pillow.
A breastfeeding pillow serves as a support for both your arm and your baby’s neck.
It helps to reduce the tension around your arm and reduces the heat that should have been generated from the area.
For Easy Access
The comfort provided by the pillow makes it easier for your baby to access your breasts without straining its neck.
It reduces the friction between your arm and your baby’s body. It also reduces neck and back strain during mealtimes.
Things To Consider When Choosing A Breastfeeding Pillow
Choosing the best breastfeeding pillow for your baby requires you to have basic knowledge about specific things to consider when selecting a breastfeeding pillow.
These details make them stand out from the rest of the other pillows.
Considering the type of material a breastfeeding pillow is made of makes it even better. Also, some pillows come with removable materials that are easy to maintain.
Choosing the shape of a breastfeeding pillow depends on your preference. But even at that, going with a shape that best fits the pillow’s purpose, which is comfort, should be your priority.
Beyond just a breastfeeding pillow, some pillows can serve in different ways for an extended period.
Choosing the best breastfeeding pillow to serve your baby as he grows older is a great advantage.
Pillows that come with pockets can be tucked into these pockets. These types of pillows are seemingly easier to carry around.
If you’re looking for a customizable pillow for your baby, get a pillow with adjustable straps and belts to fasten it to fit better and more securely.
If there is a removable slipcover, can you wash it in the washer, or would you have to wipe the pillow down? While the former is less expensive, the latter may be more suitable if you have a baby prone to spit-up or reflux.
The average cost of a breastfeeding pillow is between $25 and $50. You can upgrade to a plush, monogrammed slipcover for about $70.
Are you looking for an organic nursing pillow designed to accommodate multiple? If so, you can expect to pay around $100.
11 Best Breastfeeding Pillows
The following suggestions are based on recommendations from parents who have used them and have attested to their usefulness and confirmed them to be the best breastfeeding pillows for nursing.
Like many other suitable items, there may be lapses in some pillows listed below; here are the best breastfeeding pillows with pros and cons.
Best Breastfeeding Pillow in a Glance
- Best Nursing Pillow: Boppy Nursing Pillow
- Best Wrap Around: My Brest Friend Deluxe Nursing Pillow
- Best For Comfort: Frida Mom Adjustable Nursing Pillow
- Best Organic Nursing Pillow: Blessed Nest Nursing Pillow
- Best For Wriggly Babies: Leachco Cuddle-U Original Nursing Pillow
- Best For Twins: Twins Z Pillow The Cream
- Best For Plus Sized-Moms: Luna Lullaby Nursing Pillow & NuAngel Trinity II Nursing Pillow
- Best For Travel: My Brest Inflatable Travel Nursing Pillow
- Best Adjustable Pillow: Infantino Elevate Adjustable
- Best Firm Nursing Pillow: Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow
- Best For Football Hold: My Brest Friend Original Nursing Pillow
1. Best Nursing Pillow – Boppy Nursing Pillow
The Boppy nursing pillow is quite versatile. The rounded U-shape is best suited for nursing moms who are both breastfeeding and bottle-feeding.
With a variety of colorful (and washable!) covers to choose from, moms love how this nursing pillow looks, too.
- It is shaped like the letter “U” and easy to grab.
- It is versatile such that, it can be used for lounging, bottle feeding, and tummy time.
- It is also machine washable which makes it very easy to maintain.
- It has no water protection
- It has no belt straps to fasten it and make it more secure. The u-shape can cause the baby to keep slipping into the mother’s chest space.
2. Best Wrap Around: My Brest Friend Deluxe Nursing Pillow
This pillow has a wraparound design, adjustable strap, and backrest. My Brest Friend was designed to give first-time moms all the extra help.
Moreover, it features a great front pocket for handy items such as water bottles, snacks, or your phone that you might want to keep handy during feeding times.
A flatter surface may not appear very snuggly at first glance, but the shape helps prevent infants from sliding into the space between the cushion and your chest, which can be uncomfortable for some babies.
- It comes with a wraparound, an adjustable belt, and a backrest to support the nursing mother.
- It has a flat surface that prevents the baby from slipping into the chest space and a small pocket for storage.
- Although it provides support for both mother and baby, it is not washable itself which makes maintenance difficult.
3. Best for Comfort: Frida Mom Adjustable Nursing Pillow
The pillow has three interchangeable layers and different cushioning levels to ensure both you and your baby are comfortable.
Mom’s back is even supported so she won’t have to hunch over.
For your convenience, the pillow comes with pockets for your bottle, phone, or heat pad. The wrap-around waist is adjustable so you can find the right position, and the cover is machine washable.
- It comes with storage pockets
- Provides back support
- Different cushioning levels
- Back support can feel too small for some women
- Heat pad sold separately for heat pad pocket
4. Best Organic Nursing Pillow: Blessed Nest Nursing Pillow
It is eco-friendly. The cushion is filled with pesticide-free buckwheat hulls, giving it the feel of a bean bag. The organic cotton slipcover can be washed in a washing machine.
- American-made, organic, and free of chemicals and pesticides
- The slipcover is machine-washable
5. Best For Wriggly Babies: Leachco Cuddle-U Original Nursing Pillow
Similar to the Boppy, the Leachco Cuddle-U is shaped like a U and can be used for nursing, tummy time, and seat support.
Those with wiggly babies will appreciate the patented seat wrap for keeping them in place while nursing.
- It can be used as a breastfeeding pillow and also as a seat when the baby starts sitting upright.
- It is not machine washable
- The cover is not removable
6. Best For Twins: Twins Z Pillow The Cream
This pillow forms a unique W-shape. The middle section of the seat folds up to create a comfortable backrest, while the two sides (which can be buckled together) provide support for two babies, making tandem feeding much easier.
- The W-shaped breastfeeding pillow is the best for a mother of twins.
- The middle section makes it very versatile such that it can be used during lounging, tummy time, for back support, and later on when the baby is learning to sit.
- Due to its large size, it is difficult to store or carry around.
7. Best For Plus Sized-Moms: Luna Lullaby Nursing Pillow & NuAngel Trinity II Nursing Pillow
Luna Lullaby Nursing Pillow
Luna Lullaby’s unique boomerang-shaped nursing pillow easily fits women of all sizes.
Additionally, it is one of the softest options out there, so it will retain its shape for decades to come (which can be useful if your family grows or you want to take naps sometime in the future).
The machine-washable pillow cover that comes off and on without any scratchy zippers or Velcro means you’ll keep it looking brand new.
- It has a boomerang shape that can fit women of different sizes, best for plus-sized mums.
- It is plush to prop up and can retain its shape for a long time.
- It can also be washed in a washing machine making it easy to maintain.
- Its cumbersome size makes it difficult to carry around.
NuAngel Trinity II Nursing Pillow
This breastfeeding pillow is taller and wider than most brands out there, providing nursing moms with the space they need.
The pillow has a “shrimp-like” shape, with one end of the pillow lower than the other in order to position the baby on a natural slope.
The pillow does come with a cover, but it isn’t required. The cushion and its covers are both machine washable.
Breastfeeding mothers give this pillow thumbs up. Plus-sized women, in particular, say this pillow gives them the space they require, though some find the shape awkward and uncomfortable to use.
- It comes with an extra pillowcase.
- It is lightweight and very portable.
- It is best for busty women.
- The shape causes discomfort to some women
8. Best For Travel: My Brest Inflatable Travel Nursing Pillow
This nursing pillow saves you from having to pack a cushion when traveling.
This nursing pillow is lightweight and easy to store without air. With air, it takes on the same wraparound shape as the original My Brest Friend — comes with a strap, softcover, and handy pocket.
- It can be deflated into a smaller size of the same shape as the inflated size.
- It has a secure strap and is machine washable. It is best for traveling.
- You need to blow up the cushion before you use it to prevent
9. Best Adjustable Nursing Pillow: Infantino Elevate Adjustable
This one-of-a-kind nursing pillow has useful layers that help moms position their babies in the best position.
The multilayered pillow can be easily adjusted to make every nursing session comfortable, whether they prefer the cradle position or holding their baby upright.
You can use more layers on one side to instantly elevate your baby’s head to bring it closer to your body while nursing.
- This nursing pillow stands out from the rest due to its multiple layers which gives the mum room to adjust the baby in different positions.
- Machine washable
- The material is not smooth and may cause discomfort to some babies and mothers.
10. Best Firm Nursing Pillow: Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow
While many nursing pillows brands are filled with polyester, the Ergobaby Natural Curve Nursing Pillow is made of solid foam, so the baby is raised high and stays put at that tummy-to-tummy height.
The machine-washable slipcover also has a built-in handle that makes it simple to pick up and move from room to room.
- Machine washable
- Best to use during tummy time
- Some reviewers complain that their babies often slide in the gap between the body and the pillow.
- When To Stop Using Breastfeeding Pillow
- Fasting During breastfeeding (5 Healthy Tips To Help You Cope)
- How Much Weight Should a Baby Gain in the First Month? Explained
Must I Use A Nursing Pillow?
No, you do not have to purchase a nursing pillow. However, you should think about some important aspects of a nursing pillow, such as support and shape.
Breastfeeding pillows are intended to make your life easier and to provide your baby with more comfort while nursing.
You can use pillows from home, but you may find that using a pillow designed specifically for your body will benefit you in the long run.
You’ll get help where you need it, and you’ll see how much easier it is for you and your little one.
Can A Breastfeeding Pillow Be Used For Tummy Time?
Yes, a breastfeeding pillow can serve during tummy time, and not just that, some can be used for lounging and seats also.
But it is good to note that not all breastfeeding pillows are designed for multiple uses, therefore before deciding to use just any nursing pillow for tummy time, make sure to check the instruction label for any recommendations from the manufacturers.
Can Newborns Sleep in the Nursing Pillow?
It is advised that parents not let their children sleep on nursing pillows or pillow-like products.
It is also recommended that parents should not use infant sleep products with more than 10-degree inclined seatbacks, as well as infant car seats, bouncers, and other inclined products for sleep.
Choosing the best breastfeeding pillow for your baby involves more than just the comfort it provides. There are pillows that offer more than comfort and this makes them stand out from the rest.
A breastfeeding pillow covers the comfort of both the nursing mother and the baby, hence the above suggestions which conveniently support bonding moments during breastfeeding.