When you are preparing to welcome twins, you realize that there are many items that you will need which might be different from what you get for a singleton.
As a parent expecting twins, it is normal to buy way more than they will ever use. Before you create a registry for your twins, we would like you to take a quick look at this article.
We have compiled a complete list of items you must have for twins during your baby’s first year. All these items will help make your journey as a mom of twins a lot easier so don’t forget to include them in your registry.
Must-Have For Twins
1. Two Convertible Cribs
According to the AAP (The American Academy of Pediatrics) parents are encouraged to have each one of the twins sleep in their crib. This simple act has been shown to reduce Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Our top choice is The Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib. This is a 4-in-1 crib, which is capable of lasting for a very long time.
- Can be easily converted to a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed with a headboard
- Comes in dark chocolate, grey, and white
- Size is 55.75 W x 30.25 D x 43.75 H Inches. So it fits a standard size crib mattress
2. A Lightweight Double Frame Stroller
A double frame stroller is a must have for twins you will want to purchase. This stroller is
designed in a way that allows you to snap your twins’ car seats directly into a lightweight stroller frame.
This is very important since your twins will spend much of their first 6 months sleeping, feeding, and growing.
By simply unbuckling your car seats from their bases in your car and buckling them into the stroller frame, you will be able to enjoy outdoor activities with your twins without having to wake them up.
We highly recommend making use of the lightweight double stroller frame, rather than using a complete stroller system because the frame is much lighter.
Also, you won’t be needing the seats in a traditional stroller, so don’t worry about carrying around the extra weight.
Our top choice is The Baby Trend Snap N Go or the Joovy Twin Roo Plus (plus adapters). You can get more information about each one here.
- Has a 5 point harness
- Black in color
- Fabric type is plastic and metal
- Recommended weight: 5lbs to 40lbs
- Accepts two infant car seats
- It has a large drop-down storage basket
Although not all car seats will fit, all the car seats we recommend in this article will fit into the Baby Trend Snap N Go stroller without any attachments needed.
3. Two Newborn Infant Car Seats
This is another must have for twins. The first type of car seat for your twins is specifically designed for infants.
The carrier portion which will remain in the car can be removed from the base. By taking out the car seat from the base, you will be able to let your babies continue sleeping and you won’t need to wake them up from sleep by removing them from the car seats.
All the car seats we recommend in this article are compatible with the Baby Trend Snap N Go double stroller frame.
Our top choice for newborn infant car seats is The Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 LX Featuring Trueshield Technology. So far it is Graco’s safest car seat yet. It has received a lot of positive reviews (4.7 out of 5 stars) on Amazon.
- Color is Ion
- Adjust handle with one hand, leaving your other hand free
- It has a shade canopy easily and silently adjusts without disturbing baby your from sleep
- The car seat has an InRight LATCH system for a one-second LATCH attachment
- 4-position adjustable base lets you customize fit to your car; Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed United States standard FMVSS 213
- The level indicator is easy to read this helps eliminate installation guesswork
4. Baby Lounger
A lot of moms say having two baby loungers is almost as important as having baby diapers. As a mother of twins, you cannot hold/carry your babies around all day long (especially since there are 2+), so baby lounging seats are a must-have.
Keep in mind that baby loungers can only fit ONE baby, so you’ll need two baby loungers (you can get two of the same brand, or mix and match).
Our top choice is the Fisher-Price Infant to Toddler Rocker, they are super portable and lightweight, and can easily be moved from one place to another.
- Stationary baby seat and rocker for use from infant to toddler (up to 40 lb/18 kg)
- It has an adjustable seat recline and a removable toy bar with 2 bat-at toys
- Its calming vibrations help soothe and comfort your baby
- Fold-out kickstand for stationary seating
- Removable, machine-washable seat pad
- Has a plastic material
5. One Portable Playard
This item is often referred to as a portable Playard, pack-n-play, or bassinet, a foldable crib. It is also one of the important items to have before you bring your twins home.
A portable Playard is a place you lay your babies down to nap throughout the day. A lot of parents have this crib in the main sitting room during the day. During the nighttime, a lot of parents bring this crib into their bedroom.
Newborn twins feed a lot. Most newborns feed every 1-2 hours during the first few months. So, having this portable Playard right next to your bed makes frequent feedings especially night feeds much easier.
We recommend The Baby Trend Twin Nursery Center because it is more portable. It also comes with an organizational basket and removable bassinets.
- Two Removable Rock-A-Bye Bassinet
- Each Removable Rock-A-Bye Bassinet converts to a stand-alone rocker
- It has a large changer and a removable bassinet
- It has electronic music and night light
- Comes with two toys to help entertain your babies baby
- It has a changing table
- Large wheels with brakes
- Travel/storage tote bag
6. A Comfortable Double Breastfeeding Pillow
Breastfeeding twins can be a daunting task for mom’s most especially new moms of twins.
While breastfeeding may be somewhat difficult making you doubt whether you will be able to breastfeed your twins, we found out that most who want to, can.
As a parent of twins, one of the essential items you should have is a comfortable double breastfeeding pillow. This item will help the learning process and the breastfeeding of your twins so much easier.
Looking for a comfortable double breastfeeding pillow for your twins, we recommend The Brest Friend Supportive Nursing Pillow for Twins 0-12 Months, Plus-Size.
Unlike other brands of double breastfeeding pillows, this nursing pillow has a velcro strap that secures the pillow around your waist.
It is far firmer than the other pillows, which makes it quite helpful when you are helping your baby first learn how to breastfeed.
- It is very easy to launder, zip-off cover – Your babies will spit up. The pillow cover can be taken off easily and washed and dried in a washer and dryer.
- It has adjustable back support that encourages good posture during breastfeeding, this helps to relieve strain in your back, neck, and arms.
- It has an adjustable fit for most sizes. Its large design is big enough to support both twins during breastfeeding comfortably.
- It has a large multipurpose pocket that helps you keep your maternity supplies within easy reach
- My Brest Friend nursing pillow adjusts to fit most sizes, it surrounds your body securely, for the best breastfeeding position, providing adequate support for mom and babies
- It is generally approved by lactation experts. My Brest Friend nursing pillow is proud to be the favorite for most lactation consultants and birthing hospitals
7. A Reliable Baby Monitor
This is another great must-have baby item to have especially when you’re dealing with newborn twins.
This device allows you to keep an eye on your babies without entering the room and possibly waking them up. Most advanced baby monitors today can do much more than that.
Some can monitor your babies, room temperature, breathing of your twins, and can also go as far as soothing your babies using lullabies or your voice.
Most parents prefer buying a baby monitor with two cameras, while others buy one monitor that can view the two cribs at once.
Our top choice for a baby monitor for twins who share the same bedroom is the Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens.
85% of the online customers who reviewed this baby monitor gave it either 4 or 5 stars; we recommend you go for it.
- Patent-Pending Active Noise Reduction Feature – This device filters out background noises so you can hear your baby’s voice more clearly. Removes noisy distractions from fans, air purifiers, humidifiers, air conditioners, static and more.
- Ultra Clear Video Quality: This device has a high definition 720P video resolution playback. Type of Modulation: GFSK
- Large 5″ Screen: Its improved LCD screen offers more brightness, better viewing angles, and sharper colors
- Full Viewing Control: pan/tilt/zoom, interchangeable lenses. Zoom lens included, wide-angle lens sold separately. Zoom up to 6x with optical and digital zoom used together
- Loudspeaker and crisper sound playback
8. Double Electric Breast Pump
If you are expecting a twin or planning to breastfeed your twins, investing in a good quality breast pump is highly recommended. While you’re still in the hospital, you will most likely use the Medela Symphony.
Though you can hire these pumps to use at home for a few months, the cost of hiring these pumps can quickly add up.
Oftentimes, you may find yourself wanting to use it for a longer period than a couple of months, particularly if your twins are premature or you are exclusively pumping and bottle-feeding your babies.
Our top choice for a double electric breast pump for moms with twins is the Unimom Opera double electric breast pump.
- Hospital standard for longer operating hours with stronger suction.
- Closed system with anti-backflow protection.
- It has a smart memory function automatically sets you into the settings you used the previous time.
- The two twin motors allow full suction power without lowering during double pumping. You are also able to set a different vacuum power on each side.
- Night Light: Three different illumination levels allow you to pump during day or night.
9. An Organized Diaper Bag
Your diaper bag should have a lot of smaller compartments; this helps you organize your twins’ items the right way.
The diaper bag should also come with a built-in insulated compartment for feeding bottles, a changing pad, and a disinfectant wipe container.
Our top choice for the best diaper bag for moms with twins is The Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack. This backpack is very essential for parents with twins.
Bag Nation Diaper Bag Backpack has tons of pockets designed to hold diapers, feeding bottles, wipes, clothing, baby toys, and a lot more.
It also comes with a large changing pad and can be worn easily as a backpack making it very easy to carry around.
- Built to Last Backed For a Long Period – High-quality smooth zippers, reinforced stitching, and made with high-quality water-resistant polyester, you can be sure this diaper bag backpack will be the only one you ever need.
- The bag is designed with 14 pockets, a dedicated easy-access disinfectant wipes pocket, insulated bottle pocket, and full open zipper back you will always have access to what you need quickly.
- Handsfree is the way to be – The diaper bag backpack holds all of your essentials while having both hands free, the vented padding on the back and shoulder straps make it is easy to wear in any kind of weather.
- Perfect for Both Parents – Whether it is mom or dad that is taking out the kids, be rest assured that this unisex diaper bag backpack works great for kids, even twins. It’s the best travel diaper bag for your young family and a perfect baby shower gift.
- Guaranteed for Life; At Bag Nation we dedicate ourselves to providing our customers with the best products and customer experience possible, proud to be a USA business, our diaper bags prove their durability and are protected by our hassle-free Lifetime Warranty.
- Works with most strollers – While this diaper bag is extremely comfortable, it can also easily and conveniently work onto almost any stroller kind.
- Gender-neutral design – It is quite interesting that this bag will not cause you to feel uncomfortable. Both parents can feel comfortable trading this bag back and forth from one caregiver to another.
- It is designed with a built-in baby wipes case, changing pad, and other accessories like two packing cubes – They help organize twin clothing. The bag also has a wet/dry bag that is meant for stained clothing. The waterproof changing pad helps you change your baby’s diapers anywhere and the baby wipes case provides easy access to disinfectant wipes during the nappy time.
10. Baby Wraps and Carriers
Having a comfortable carrier is a must have for twins as the parent of multiples.
Of course, time will come when at least one of your twins will want to be held. There are a few carriers designed for twins, it’s quite difficult to find a situation when both twins had to be held at once.
We recommend you invest in the two types of carriers – wrap and the carrier. Our top choice wrap for carrying newborn babies is the Ergo Baby Wrap by CuddleBug.
The wrap is versatile, comfortable, effective and most importantly it allows you to essential swaddle your baby against your body.
Once your babies grow past the newborn stage, you need to buy a carrier with a lot of back support and cushioning on your shoulders. Trust me, babies can be heavy.
Our top choice baby carrier is The Ergobaby 360 All Carry Positions Award-Winning Ergonomic Baby Carrier.
- Newborn to Toddler: Adapts to your growing baby from ~0-48 months (7-45lbs), no extra infant insert is needed for your newborn.
- Multi-Position Carrier: Wear on the front, back, or hip, as the baby develops.
- It has an exceptional lower back comfort with a padded lumbar support waistbelt & extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: crossed or “backpack style”. Waistbelt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially after Cesarean section.
- The carrier can fit any kind of wear from petite to larger body types (waistbelt adjusts 26-52″, shoulder straps 28-48″) & easy to reach buckles to make adjustments.
- Ergonomic as the child develops: Known as hip-healthy by the IHDI (International Hip Dysplasia Institute). The adjustable bucket seat helps support your baby in an ergonomic natural position (“M” shape) in all carry positions.
- Comes in different colors and patterns
11. Large Size Play Mat
This is another essential to have when you’re expecting twins. It is important to invest in a large size playmat that will fit both of your babies on it.
Once your babies become accustomed to their environment and can stay awake for a little longer between feeds, then having a playmat for them to lie and play on is essential.
Not only does this item offer a change of scenery and entertainment for your babies, watching your babies begin to interact with each other on their mat is one of the most prized moments any parent would love to see.
When thinking about buying a play mat, you should buy a mat that has two areas of play or two overhanging bars so that they each have a place to look at things.
Our top choice for the best large-size play mat for your twins is the Fisher-Price Deluxe Gym and Baby Einstein play mat.
- 4 ways to play as a baby grows.
- Learning accessories changes as the baby grows in age & stage with 3 Smart Stages levels and a bonus piano play mode with real music notes.
- It has a large keyboard with 5 light-up keys, removes for take-along play.
- Comes with 5 repositionable toys and they include (a self-discovery mirror, teetheable elephant, crinkle panda, rattle lion & monkey cymbal clackers).
- Soft and machine-washable pink mat.
We hope this article has provided you with the 11 essential must have for twin babies, we recommend you buy them before your babies arrive.
However, while there are many other smaller baby items, you will find useful, these are the essential items any first-time parent of twins will need. So do not forget to include any one of them in your registry.