In terms of providing enough nutrients required for a baby, breastfeeding remains the gold standard for babies, but the hard reality is that it might not always be possible due to the individual circumstances parents find themselves in.
But the big common question a lot of parent especially mom considering the used formula is, what formula taste closest to breast milk?
Well, this isn’t a problem at all. As you all babies are different and react differently to ingredients in formulas.
When choosing a formula, try choosing one that is modeled after breast milk as much as possible, this helps your baby get the necessary nutrient he or she would have gotten from breast milk
In this review, we will be looking at formulas that taste closest to breast milk to enable you to make a better choice.
- 1 Things To Look Out For When Picking A Formula
- 2 What Formula Taste Closest To Breast Milk? 13 Best Formula
- 2.1 1. Enfamil Enspire Infant Formula with MFGM & Lactoferrin
- 2.2 2. Enfamil NeuroPro Infant Formula
- 2.3 3. Gerber Good Start A2 Milk
- 2.4 4. Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula With Iron
- 2.5 5. Gerber Nestle Nan 1 Pro Infant Formula Powder
- 2.6 6. Pure Bliss by Similac
- 2.7 7. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron
- 2.8 8. Enfamil A2 Premium Infant Formula
- 2.9 9. Happy Baby Organic Infant Formula
- 2.10 10. Baby’s Only Organic LactoRelief with DHA & ARA Toddler Formula
- 2.11 11. Similac Organic Infant Formula with Iron – Ready to Feel
- 2.12 12. Similac For Supplementation
- 2.13 13. Gerber Good Start Soothe
- 3 Conclusion
Things To Look Out For When Picking A Formula
When choosing formulas, there are basic ingredients that you should look out for before introducing your baby to the formula and they include
Most formulas in the market include these ingredients. DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and ARA (Arachidonic acid) wondering what they mean? Chill, these are fatty acids that are naturally present in breast milk.
Their function is to promote the development of the eyes and brain. Though in recent times there has been controversy surrounding these essential fatty acids because of how they are sourced.
Probiotics and Prebiotics
These are good bacteria that belong to the GCAS (Generally considered as safe) group of microorganisms.
They are naturally found in breast milk, and they help in ensuring that the digestive system is healthy and they also help with immunity.
Sweeteners are the primary source of carbohydrates. Breast milk is naturally sweet so, in other to give formula the sweet taste of breast milk, manufacturers sweeten their formulas using lactose.
And since lactose is quite expensive, some brands substitute with plant-based sweeteners like maltodextrin sourced from potatoes, rice, corn or use organic brown rice syrup or glucose syrup solids. The choice of sweetener should be evaluated critically.
These are synthetic nutrients that are added to meet the nutritional requirements for the development of the eyes, brain, nerve cell activity, and other body systems.
Nucleotides are the building blocks of DNA and they are found in breast milk. They play a huge role in the growth and also help with immune function.
Essential vitamins and minerals
They play a huge role in the development of strong bones, teeth, blood, and robust growth.
Read Also: How To Dry Up Breast Milk
What Formula Taste Closest To Breast Milk? 13 Best Formula
1. Enfamil Enspire Infant Formula with MFGM & Lactoferrin
- It contains lactoferrin, a very important nutrient in the colostrums which is very are essential for the development of a child’s immune system and also supports the intestinal system.
- It is also formulated with MFGM (Milk fat globule membrane) which is a key ingredient for your baby’s cognitive development.
- The formula is formulated from cow milk, and all the ingredients used in its manufacture are non-GMO.
- It comes in powder form in a 20.5-ounce tub and can be used for babies from 0 to 12 months.
- It does not use artificial sweeteners and also it mixes well.
- It is expensive in comparison and not suitable for lactose intolerant babies or those babies with cow milk allergies.
If you’re looking for a formula that tastes closest to breast milk, I recommend you try this one first.
2. Enfamil NeuroPro Infant Formula
- This formula contains 6 – 20.7 ounce containers of baby formula milk powder.
- This formula is the only baby formula that contains a fat-protein blend of MFGM and Omega 3 DHA, which are constituents of breast milk and play a significant role in brain development.
- Research has shown that MFGM in formula plays a huge role in cognitive development, although more research is still needed.
- NeuroPro formula is designed to offer 100% nutrition for babies from 12 months and below.
- It is free from GMOs and contains essential prebiotics. It also contains nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D3, and taurine.
There is a gentle formula for babies that are prone to tummy sensitivity called Gentlease. You can also use NeuroPro Sensitive if your baby is lactose intolerant.
3. Gerber Good Start A2 Milk
Gerber Good Start is made from A2 milk. In ‘A2’ we refer to casein (a protein found in milk), and milk that has high levels of A2 beta-casein composition is called A2 milk.
Some experts believe that A2 milk is healthier than regular milk, and isn’t as difficult to digest in case of lactose intolerance.
- Best baby formula for advanced digestive support. Research has shown that many parents whose babies have struggled with recurring gassiness and spit-up find this formula helpful.
- The formula also contains reuteri, an important probiotic for a baby’s digestive health.
- This formula includes prebiotic 2′-FL Human Milk Oligosaccharide (HMO), which occurs naturally in breast milk, a prebiotic that is essential for the development of a healthy digestive system.
- It is free from GMOs.
4. Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula With Iron
- Best baby formula immune support. The prebiotic 2′-FL HMO, contained in the formula helps your child’s gut health and immune system.
- Contains zero artificial growth hormones.
- Among the contents of Pro-Advance is OptiGRO, which is a mix of DHA, vitamin E, and lutein, and together, these nutrients support your child’s brain, eyes, and overall growth.
5. Gerber Nestle Nan 1 Pro Infant Formula Powder
- This formula contains prebiotics, probiotics, DHA, iron, vitamins & minerals. All these unique nutrients give the baby a good start.
- Nan 1 Infant Formula is very beneficial for a baby’s growth.
- Best probiotic formula. This formula is enriched with 2’-FL HMO and L. reuteri, so it wouldn’t be difficult for your little one to digest.
Many parents have found that the fussiness that usually arises due to gas or indigestion goes away when their baby drinks this formula.
Read Also: Best Formula To Keep Baby Fuller Longer
6. Pure Bliss by Similac
- The absence of any form of artificial growth hormones, antibiotics, or palm olein oil is an added advantage that makes it stand out amongst other formulas.
- Pure Bliss contains the important omega-3 fatty acid, DHA, and omega-6 fatty acid, ARA, in addition to the many other key nutrients like lutein and vitamin B12. These nutrients are very important for a baby’s brain and eye development.
- The pleasant taste makes it suitable and likable for babies who are used to breastfeeding.
7. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron
If you’re thinking of an organic formula to introduce to your baby, then Earth’s Best is a good place to start.
Earth’s Best Infant Powder is certified organic by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), so if you’re unsure, be rest assured that it is organic.
However, we’re not trying to say that other formulas are bad if they’re not organic – there are certain nutrient requirements that all infant formulas must meet, and the company must inform the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before putting the formula on the market.
- This formula is enriched with iron, which is needed for a baby’s healthy growth and especially brain development.
- It also DHA and ARA (arachidonic acid), these two acids play a huge role in the neural, eye, and brain development of the baby.
- Earth’s Best infant formula is also enriched with organic lactose, organic whey protein concentrate, and organic corn syrup solids.
- Earth’s Best infant formula also offers plant-based formulas that will be easier for babies from (12 months of age) to digest.
A lot of parents who have transitioned from breastfeeding to Earth’s Best formula haven’t had many issues with gas, acid reflux, or the baby throwing away the formula because of taste.
8. Enfamil A2 Premium Infant Formula
- The formula contains DHA and is free from GMOs.
- A good choice for a baby with a sensitive tummy.
- Enfamil A2 premium is also easy to mix and tastes good.
9. Happy Baby Organic Infant Formula
- Happy Baby formula is certified organic by the (USDA)S. Department of Agriculture.
- Does not contain any GMOs. It has zero maltodextrins, which is a sweetener that is often derived from rice, wheat, or corn.
- This formula also has ARA and DHA, which play a huge role in brain development along with many other essential nutrients for your baby’s growth.
- Happy Baby formula has 2 prebiotics– galactooligosaccharides (GOS) and fructooligosaccharides (FOS). They feed the good bacteria in the stomach and aid in the baby’s digestion.
This unique feature makes Happy Baby one of the best formulas for gassy babies, so if your baby is having tummy issues, be sure to give this formula a try.
10. Baby’s Only Organic LactoRelief with DHA & ARA Toddler Formula
- This formula is the 1st and only formula using Organic Certified DHA & ARA derived from organic egg phospholipids. DHA & ARA plays a huge role in brain & eye development.
- It contains zero pesticides, corn and glucose syrup, antibiotics, and many other ingredients you probably wouldn’t want to offer your baby.
- Baby’s Only formula is also enriched with Organic Low-Lactose Dairy which helps babies who are lactose intolerant or sensitive.
- The formula has a good taste.
Read Also: How To Make Formula Taste Like Breast Milk
11. Similac Organic Infant Formula with Iron – Ready to Feel
- Similac Organic formula has no palm olein oil, GMOs, or antibiotics, either.
- It is also enriched with essential nutrients such as DHA, vitamins A and E, iron, and lutein.
- It is USDA-certified organic formula.
12. Similac For Supplementation
- Similac is a popular brand chosen by parents and it’s the first leading formula brand with no artificial growth hormones.
- Contains plenty of prebiotics to support your baby’s gastrointestinal system.
- It is also free from palm olein oil.
- The formula is gentle on the baby’s stomach. It doesn’t cause gas or constipation.
- It is enriched with essential nutrients like magnesium, iron, and vitamin C.
13. Gerber Good Start Soothe
- This formula was specifically designed for babies who suffer from colic or gas.
- The formula is also enriched with proteins that are mild on the baby’s gastrointestinal system.
- It contains the probiotic L. reuteri and DHA.
- Has a pleasant taste, so your baby isn’t likely to reject it.
- A bit high in price, but it will be worth the money if it manages to soothe your baby.
- How To Store Formula Milk For Night Feeds
- How Long Does a Box of Formula Last? 6 Key Factors
- What To Do With An Old Breast Pump
- 10 Tips on How To Transition From Breast Milk To Formula
- What Happens If Baby Drinks Spoiled Formula Milk
- What To Do With Leftover Formula Powder
We hope this article has given an in-depth discussion to answer your question, what formula taste closest to breast milk.
It is important to know that baby’s formula that tastes like breast milk is usually on the sweeter side, but this shouldn’t be a deciding factor.
Always take a look at the ingredients and know-how they compare to other brands, while keeping your baby’s digestive issues in mind (if there are any) so that the best choice can be made for your little one.