How to wash baby clothes for the first time sounds like a question every new parent would ask. This question isn’t spurned out of curiosity but out of love with the best interest of the new baby.
The newborn immune system is still immature which makes them vulnerable to infections and diseases.
This is why as a new parent, why you need to be careful about how to help keep your child healthy, including how to wash his/her clothes for the first time. Read On…
- 1 Choice of Detergent
- 2 Should I Wash My Baby’s Clothes Before Use?
- 3 How To Wash Baby Clothes For The First Time: Preparation
- 4 How To Hand Wash Your Baby’s Clothes?
- 5 How To Machine Wash Your Baby’s Clothes
- 6 How To Disinfect Baby’s Clothes?
- 7 How To Wash Baby Clothes For The First Time: Precautions
- 8 Folding Vs. Hanging Which Is Better?
- 9 FAQ’s
- 10 Conclusion
Choice of Detergent
If there should be washing, the first thing that strikes the mind is dirty clothing and to remove the stains effectively the use and need for detergent becomes handy.
Detergents are efficient stain removers and there are lots of brands in the market but remember not all of those brands are good for washing the clothing of your baby.
Wondering the best detergent to use in washing the clothes of your baby? Well, the answer isn’t farfetched. Any regular detergent would serve but in choosing a detergent, you should go for non-biological detergent.
And if you’re wondering why the use of non-biological detergent is recommended, the reason is that your baby’s skin is still very delicate and extra sensitive and can be irritated by the enzymes utilized in the manufacture of biological detergent.
Another good way to ensure you use the best laundry detergent in washing baby clothes for the first time is by making your detergent. A lot of parents usually go for this option because it is cheaper than buying baby laundry detergents.
And most importantly, when detergent is homemade, you can be sure of the active ingredients present in it.
Here is a video showing how to make powdered laundry soap for sensitive skin
Should I Wash My Baby’s Clothes Before Use?
Wondering if you should always wash your new baby’s before you use. The answer is “YES” and you should wash your baby’s clothes before using them.
It is easier for your baby’s clothes to pick up dust and dirt while still at the warehouse and if they are not washed and put on your baby, it may irritate your baby’s delicate skin.
So it is in the best interest of yourself and your baby that you wash their clothing before use.
How To Wash Baby Clothes For The First Time: Preparation
Before cleaning and disinfecting your child’s clothes, you must understand how important washing your baby’s clothes for the first time is. For you to wash your child’s clothes for the time you must make preparations.
While preparing your child’s clothes for a wash, you must remember that you must wash their clothes for the first time to ensure they’re free of harmful bacteria before they wear them and not after.
Here are important tips to keep in mind when washing your baby’s clothes:
- First, make sure you take a look at the brand label for washing instructions. This will serve as a guide in understanding the material and the behavior in which it can react to a wash.
- Be mindful about the kind of laundry detergent used. It is recommended to use non-chemical laundry soap that is specifically made for infants.
- Pre-soak the material in water, especially if the cloth allows it. Pre-soaking the cloth in hot water helps kill a lot of the germs.
- Separate the clothes based on the color and them separately. This ensures the bacteria from the other fabric don’t interfere with the baby’s clothes.
- After wash, soak the cloth in warm water. This helps to kill detergent and other allergenic bacteria.
- Lastly, allow it to dry in the sun or heat. Sunlight is a natural disinfectant. If possible, make sure you dry your baby’s clothes in natural sunlight, if not, make sure your baby clothes are dried in a clean, sterile room that has heat.
Read Also: Best Stain Remover For Baby Poop
How To Hand Wash Your Baby’s Clothes?
It is best advised to hand wash your baby’s clothes rather than using the washing machine. You may be wondering how do I hand wash my newborn baby clothes? Well, here are easy ways to hand wash your baby clothes properly:
1. Disinfect and clean your hands
The first step towards hand washing your baby’s clothes is to first disinfect and making sure hands are clean. We all know human hands are a good hiding place for bacteria, so before handling your baby’s clothes, make sure you sanitize and wash your hands thoroughly.
2. Check the temperature of the water
Before washing your baby’s clothes, it’s very important to check the water temperature. If you hand wash your baby’s clothes in extreme heat water, it could affect the integrity of the clothes causing rips and tears. Also, be aware that extreme heat water may cause your hands to burn.
3. Use mild detergent
Since our bodies are extremely different from that of newborns, therefore it is not recommended to use regular detergents. This type of detergent could damage your baby’s skin, cause allergic reactions, and might even hurt your baby’s skin.
You must make sure you use a laundry detergent that is safe for baby skin, making use of mild and eco-friendly detergent is an additional safety measure.
4. Soak before and after the wash
Bacteria can accumulate in your clothing before a wash, so to ensure you bacteria-free, soak your baby’s clothes in hot water for about 30 minutes before a wash, then wash and leave it to soak in warm water after the wash.
5. Dry the baby clothes
You must allow your baby’s clothes to completely dry to avoid mold build-up. Allow the clothes to dry in sunlight (if possible). Avoid wearing your baby damp clothes, this can cause fungal infections.
Related Post: How To Whiten Baby Clothes Without Bleach
How To Machine Wash Your Baby’s Clothes
Although we recommend you hand wash your baby’s clothes, unfortunately, this can be time-consuming and exhausting. If handwashing baby clothes aren’t your thing here are a few steps to machine wash your baby clothes.
1. Wash the baby’s clothes first before washing yours
Washing machines can be a hiding spot for bacteria, to avoid transferring some of the bacteria from your clothes to your baby clothes; you must wash your baby’s clothes first.
2. Pre-soak using soap
One way of ensuring that your baby clothes run a full cycle is by getting a bucket of water at the temperature of 35 degrees Celsius, then add half a cup of mild detergent and allow it to soak for 30 minutes before adding it to the machine.
3. Use the rinse option twice
To ensure the soap residues and the bacteria are fully removed from your baby clothes, you must run the rinse cycle twice. Do this with the detergent in your washer and another time with no detergent, for the second spin and rinse cycle, use only water.
For more references, you can also ask your doctor for guidelines on how to wash baby clothes in the washing machine.
Related Post: How To Remove Old Baby Stains Formula From Clothes
How To Disinfect Baby’s Clothes?
You must not only wash you should also disinfect your baby’s clothes. Here are a few steps on how you can disinfect your baby’s clothes.
- First, identify and pre-clean stain areas: This is very important since most stains are protein-based for example meat or breast milk stains. This kind of stain attracts the most dangerous kinds of bacteria. Before you soak, make sure you scrub the stained areas with a baby disinfectant detergent. You should get this product in any pharmacy around you.
- Scrape off any dried stain, snot, and other bodily fluid: This is a very important step because, like protein stains, bodily fluids are full of harmful bacteria. They often serve as a hiding place for bacteria and may be responsible for getting your baby sick in the past. This is why you must scrub the clothes thoroughly using a disinfectant detergent that is safe for the baby. Make sure you do this before you pre-soak the clothes.
- Pre-soak using white wine vinegar: White wine vinegar is a natural disinfectant. Just add two cups of white wine vinegar with a bucket of water and then allow the clothes to soak for 30 minutes before putting it in the wash.
Related Post: How To Get Desitin Out Of Clothes
How To Wash Baby Clothes For The First Time: Precautions
Several precautions must be taken before and while washing your baby clothes. Here are a few things you must keep in mind while washing baby clothes:
- Do not use fabric softeners while washing baby clothes
- Avoid using use drying sheet with chemicals to dry your clothes
- Avoid chemical detergents
- Wash the baby’s diapers separately from their clothes
- Dry clothes in the sunlight
- If you notice any sign of allergies, consult your health care provider on special requirements when washing your baby clothes
- Always check the clothing washing instructions carefully before washing
- Avoid using strong fragrance products during the wash
Folding Vs. Hanging Which Is Better?
Baby clothes are usually tiny that it can be quite difficult to hang or fold them! However, how you decide to store them after washing is purely up to you.
Baby clothes are so small and light so they won’t wrinkle much even when you fold them.
If you decide to hang your baby clothes, the task will be much easier if you buy these smaller baby-sized hangers. Whereas for onesies and socks, you can put them away in a dresser drawer.
Related Post: How To Organize Baby Clothes Without A Closet
What Is The Best Temperature for Washing a Newborn’s Clothes
It is best recommended that you use the temperature 300C and you will notice that you would be satisfied with the effects
Sometimes you may be tempted to use the highest temperature your baby’s clothing can withstand as stated by the care label.
Do not use such temperature unless your baby is sick and you want to ensure that any microorganisms picked up by the clothes from his or her skin are killed and inactive. There are some exceptions to this advice as mentioned above and they include cloth diapers.
Cloth diapers should be washed at low temperature when washing to remove stains and then again at the highest possible temperature to ensure that is safe and ready for re-use.
Can I Use Fabric Softener and Dryer Sheets On Baby Clothes?
You should not use fabric softener on baby clothes. Fabric Softeners are formulated to make clothes softer and are usually used along with detergents. It is also full of chemicals that can hurt your baby’s sensitive skin.
For dryer sheets, they’re used during laundry to reduce static electricity with clothes when dried in a dryer. These sheets contain harmful chemicals that can affect a baby’s sensitive skin. You should dry your baby’s clothes in natural sunlight or best hang them to dry out.
What to do if Baby has Skin Allergy?
If you notice your baby is having some skin allergies, do not hesitate to consult your doctor to help you understand the reason for the reaction. Health experts recommend using a special baby detergent for babies with skin allergies. You can find these products in most pharmacies around you.
Related Post: Can You Put Baking Soda in Baby Clothes
We hope this article has given an in-depth discussion to answer the question of how to wash baby clothes for the first time.
Always do your research before choosing a laundry detergent to use for your baby’s clothes. And when you do, do not forget to follow the following guidelines we mentioned above and keep an eye on how your baby’s skin reacts to detergents.
Some detergents can use different ingredients that may react in various manners on your baby’s skin. By trying out these detergents, you narrow down and choose the one that is best for your baby’s sensitive skin.