Are you wondering what may happen if you drink Thai iced tea during pregnancy? Are you wondering if it’s ok for you and your growing baby? Well, this article will help clarify your doubts.
Pregnancy comes with a lot of manual, ranging from the kinds of things not to do, what to eat and avoid, how to sleep, and even what to wear to mention but a few.
A lot of people love drinking Thai iced tea because the drink is a refreshing and energizing drink.
In this article, we answer your question of what happens if you drink Thai iced tea during pregnancy along with other related questions that comes from Thai iced tea during pregnancy. Read On…
What Happens If You Drink Thai Iced Tea During Pregnancy?
Industrial packaged or bottled ice tea has a lot of sugar and caffeine content which is usually not recommended for pregnant women.
We all know pregnancy comes with different episodes including cravings such as Thai iced tea, especially if you have been a fan of this drink all your life.
When Thai iced tea is taken in excess it could result in miscarriage and an increase in the risks of neural tube defects.
Also, since Thai tea contains caffeine, excessive consumption of it can result in insomnia during pregnancy, reduce the absorption of iron, and also dehydration. The best recommendation is to drink in moderation to reduce any sort of complication during pregnancy.
Read Also: Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar When Pregnant
Health Benefits of Drinking Ice Tea during Pregnancy
Tea is a nutritious beverage that benefits almost everyone including pregnant women when taken in moderation. Some of the health benefits of drinking iced teas are:
- It helps refresh your body, especially during summertime. Dealing with pregnancy during summer is not an easy task. Drinking ice tea also can help relieve morning sickness, its caffeine content help boosts your energy level almost instantly.
- The tea also contains antioxidants from the plant herbs and spices added. These antioxidants help in the elimination of free radicals, prevention of DNA damage, and also help pregnant women cope with the hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- It helps keep the brain active. Usually, some of the common symptoms that come with pregnancy are being listless and forgetful.
- Iced teas help with cavities. This is good during pregnancy because there is a risk of dental issues during this period.
- Home-made iced tea is perfect for pregnant women especially those with gestational diabetes. Iced teas sold at local stores are loaded with sugar which can worsen this condition.
Harmful Effects of Drinking Excessive Amount of Thai Iced Tea
As mentioned earlier, a pregnant woman should drink Thai iced tea in moderation. Excessive consumption is not advised because of the high sugar and caffeine content.
Too much consumption of sugar and caffeine can affect the development and health of the fetus and you even risk your health.
Some of the harmful effects of consuming too much amount of Thai iced tea during pregnancy are:
- High consumption of caffeine can increase the risks of neural tube defects like spina bifida by interfering with the absorption of folate.
- High consumption of caffeine during pregnancy can cause miscarriage.
- High consumption of caffeine during pregnancy can cause low birth weight.
- Excessive consumption of caffeine during pregnancy can cause insomnia. Getting enough sleep is very important for both you and the baby. If you must drink Thai iced tea during pregnancy, it’s best advised to drink in the morning hours and not towards the end of your day.
- High consumption of caffeine reduces the absorption of iron in the body and this is not good for a pregnant woman who needs iron. Drinking an excess amount of Thai iced tea during pregnancy can result to iron deficiency and anemia during pregnancy.
- Excessive drinking of tea can cause dehydration. Usually, when the drink you drink tea you’ll notice a frequency in the urge to urinate because it acts as a diuretic. This makes you lose healthy minerals and salt that are highly needed during pregnancy.
- High consumption of drinks and beverages that have high caffeine content during pregnancy can cause stillbirth.
It’s best advised to consume Thai iced tea within the prescribed limit when you’re pregnant especially if you can’t avoid it totally to help prevent all these side effects.
How Much Caffeine Content Can Be Found In Thai Iced Tea?
Usually, Thai iced tea has high caffeine content; however, the levels of caffeine in each brand and flavor may differ. One full serving of Thai iced tea is known to have about 12 to 18 mg of caffeine.
It has been recommended for pregnant women not to consume more than 200 mg of caffeine in a day. So moderate consumption of your of Thai tea during pregnancy (For example one cup daily) will cause no harm to you or your baby.
If you’re strongly addicted to Thai iced tea, we recommend you go for the low-sugar version or the homemade iced teas with less sugar.
Read Also: Drinking Caffeine While Breastfeeding
How To Make Healthy Iced Tea Recipes
1. Lemongrass Mint Iced Tea
This drink is refreshing, delicious, and also quite easy to prepare.
- Tea Bags- 2
- Lemongrass stalk- 1
- Mint- 2 sprigs
- Water- 4 cups
How to Prepare:
- Firstly, boil the water and add the rest of the ingredients to it.
- Then take out the tea bags after some minutes (5 minutes), pour the mixture into a bottle or jug, and put it in the fridge.
- Then bring it out after it’s chilled, pour into a clean glass, add 2 ice cubes and enjoy.
2. Lemon Pomegranate Iced Tea
This is another nice iced tea recipe to try, it’s quite a refreshing pick-me-up especially the day.
- Tea Bags- 2
- Water- 5 cups
- Pomegranate Pearls- 1 cup
How to Prepare:
- Firstly, bring the water to a boil and add the ingredients (tea bags and pomegranate pearls).
- Then take out the tea bags, pour the mixture into a jug or bottle and then put it in the fridge overnight.
- When it’s time to serve, strain the mixture into a clean glass, top off with a few pomegranate pearls, and enjoy your tea.
Remember, when you drink tea in the right amount and resist the urge to consume iced tea in large amounts, iced tea cannot do you any harm. While a chilled refreshing glass of iced tea can help with your fluctuating moods, try not to overdo it.
Read Also: List Of Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy
We hope this article, has given in-depth knowledge to answer your question of what happens if you drink Thai iced tea during pregnancy.
Drinking tea is one of the healthiest beverages any pregnant woman can have, once taken in the right amount. If Thai iced tea or iced tea has been your favorite, it’s best advised to reduce your intake to the barest minimum during pregnancy.
Alternatively, you can go for is the homemade iced tea. Finally, always remember that Thai iced tea does offer some health benefits to pregnant women when taken in the right proportion.