The use of mild laundry detergent as a parent is necessary when washing your baby’s clothes because babies have sensitive skin.
Many factors can cause stains on your baby’s clothes, such as spit-up and poop. Some of these stains become difficult to wash off without detergent.
Since babies have sensitive skin, choosing the best laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin is the right thing to do to prevent skin irritation.
This article will present laundry detergents specially formulated for babies with sensitive skin.
What Type Of Detergents Should Be Used For Babies With Sensitive Skin?
Whether your baby falls under those with sensitive skin or not, babies’ skin reacts a lot to the environment, and they are very sensitive when compared to the skin of an adult.
It is not unusual to see a baby’s skin colonized by eczema, and it is strange for skin conditions like cradle caps to manifest on your baby’s skin a short while after delivery.
The reality is that babies’ skin is sensitive hence the need to be careful about the laundry detergent we use for our babies’ clothing.
When using laundry detergent for your baby, you must use detergents that are:
When shopping for laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin, ensure the detergent is made with a hypoallergenic formula.
A hypoallergenic detergent formula is gentler for sensitive skin types because it contains fewer allergen-producing ingredients.
Along with hypoallergenic formula, you should also look out for dye-free detergent. Detergents free of dye are ideal for washing sensitive items, such as baby clothes and bedding, because they’re clear or colorless.
Keep in mind that fragrance-free and unscented are not the same. You can find fragrance in the detergent, but the unscented means it’s hidden. For babies with sensitive skin, fragranced laundry detergent can sometimes cause rashes, so keep that in mind.
Forms of Laundry Detergents for Babies With Sensitive Skin
There are three primary forms that a baby laundry detergent can be manufactured. They include the liquid form, the tablet form, and the powdered form.
Liquid detergents need only be portioned out and poured into the machine with little effort.
Those in the form of tablets come pre-portioned, so all you need to do is to pop them into the washing machine and use them.
For the ones that come in powdered form, you will need to measure, and then after getting the required quantity, you pour it into the machine.
Best Laundry Detergent For Babies With Sensitive Skin
The following are detergents specially made for babies, and they can suit your baby’s sensitive skin, so you have nothing to worry about.
1. Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
The first on our list is the seventh-generation laundry detergent, and it can be used as a laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin and even babies with super sensitive skin.
It is eco-friendly and also fragrance-free, dyes-free, and even free from artificial brighteners.
It is manufactured using plant-based enzymes capable of removing tough stains on your baby’s clothes. This product is also hypoallergic, and the formulation was done with the special needs of babies with sensitive skin in mind.
- This product has the certification of the United States Department of Agriculture as a bio-based product.
- It is safe for usage in homes with a septic system, and one order of this product comes with two 40-ounce containers.
- You can easily find the product in stores, which means it is readily available.
- It is affordable, hence budget friendly.
- The beautiful product has a few disadvantages that users have complained about: it is not great at stain fighting.
- Some users report a smell on clothing after use.
2. Rockin’ Green Classic Rock
Rockin’ Green is another laundry detergent good for babies with sensitive skin. This laundry detergent is free of fragrance, dyes, and chemicals, and the formulation of this product is free from enzymes, making it ideal for babies with sensitive skin.
The product can be used for washing or soaking cloth diapers as it attacks and removes the funky baby odors from cloth diapers.
- The product is an enzyme-free, hypoallergenic, and plant-based formula
- It has specific variations for hard water, workout clothing, and tough kid stains
- This product is costly and comes in powdered forms, hence the need for accurate measurement.
- When this product is added in larger scoops than necessary, it may take an extra rinse cycle to get it out completely, hence the need for accurate measurement.
3. Arms and Hammer Sensitive Skin Free and Clear Detergent
This product is a natural odor remover attributed to its manufacturing ingredients, baking soda.
This product is hypoallergic and suitable for babies with sensitive skin. It is fragrance-free and performs wonders in the removal of tough stains.
- It is budget-friendly
- The product is a known brand, hypoallergic, and free of fragrance
- There aren’t many negative reviews about this product, but some reviewers complain that it doesn’t always ship perfectly, so you may want to buy in stores instead of online
4. Tide-free and Gentle Liquid Laundry Detergent
This is another product that can be used for babies with sensitive skin as the product is hypoallergic, dye-free, and also a perfume or fragrance version.
This brand is also known and has the approval of the National Psoriasis Foundation and the National Eczema Association and can also remove tough stains.
- Fairly affordable
- It is a well-known brand, accredited by the National Psoriasis Foundation and the National Eczema Association.
- Some reviewers complained that the liquid could run down the bottle if you use the cap for measuring or pouring
- Some reviewers say that some of the ingredients might irritate your skin
5. Babyganics 3x Laundry Detergents
This is another detergent for use on babies with sensitive skin as it doesn’t irritate your baby’s skin after being used for washing your baby’s clothes.
The product is hypoallergic, fragrance-free, chlorine-free, phthalate-free, phosphate-free, and dye-free hence suitable for the needs of a baby with sensitive skin.
- Pediatrician and dermatologist-tested
- It does not contain any fragrance, dyes, chlorine, sulfates, or optical brighteners
- Great value
- Not ideal for cloth diapers
6. Honest Company Baby Laundry Detergent
This is another baby laundry detergent formulated for babies with sensitive or extra-sensitive skin. The enzymes used in manufacturing this product are all of plant origin and have four stain-fighting enzymes that tackle tough, pigmented messes.
- The product is free from fragrance and dyes
- It has plant-derived ingredients
- It is enzyme-based
- It can be hard to achieve a clean smell when using this product
7. all Free Clear Liquid Detergent
Using this detergent, you can remove 99 percent of common allergens from clothes, such as dust, pollen, and dander. Several reviews claim this is the best detergent for people with sensitive skin or kids prone to rashes.
- It is affordable
- The product is hypoallergenic
- It is available in many stores
- It has a neutral scent
- There aren’t many negative reviews about this product, but some reviewers report that the bottle’s design could result in messy pours.
8. Purex Baby Liquid and Laundry Detergent
This is another baby laundry detergent formulated for babies with sensitive skin, extra-sensitive skin to fragrances, or moderate to severe eczema. The product is hypoallergenic, dye-free, and very affordable.
- It is very affordable
- It has a pleasant smell
- Its fragrance may not be suitable for infants with sensitive skin
- Some reviewers claim the scent has changed recently
9. Dreft Stage 1: Newborn Hypoallergenic Liquid Baby Laundry Detergent
This is another baby laundry detergent formulated for babies with sensitive or extra-sensitive skin. This pediatrician-recommended and dermatologist-tested detergent are dye-free, making it safe even for newborns with sensitive skin.
- The product is a known brand.
- It is great for washing all your newborn’s delicate, like towels, sheets, burp cloths, and more.
- You can use the detergent in both high-efficiency and standard washing machines.
- Great value
- Not ideal for cloth diapers
- Contains fragrance
10. Dropps Sensitive and Baby Detergent
Dropps is an excellent option if you prefer laundry pods for their convenience. The brand’s Sensitive Skin & Baby Detergent Pods are unscented, dye-free, have optical brighteners, and are mild on babies’ sensitive skin.
The powerful surfactants remove dirt and stains from fabrics, then emulsify them so you can rinse them down the drain.
Additionally, Dropps sells its laundry detergent pods in compostable packaging, so if you’re worried about all the extra laundry detergent bottles you’ll use, you can breathe a sigh of relief.
- The product is available in different amounts, so you can try them out or stockpile them in your laundry room.
- It is fragrance-free
- It has plant-derived ingredients
- It is expensive
11. Molly’s Sub Laundry Detergent Powder
This is another baby laundry detergent formulated for babies with sensitive skin or skin-related issues like eczema. This product includes 120 loads, making it a highly affordable detergent option for parents on the budget.
Aside from its organic and eco-friendly nature, it doesn’t contain harmful or irritating dyes, fragrances, perfumes, brighteners, fillers, petrochemicals, phosphate, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), or sodium Laureth sulfate (SLES). This product also received an “A” rating from the EWG and is cruelty-free and certified vegan.
- It is perfect for HE washers, and you can use it virtually on any material.
- Many reviewers say they love the natural, clean feeling and the peace of mind of the five organic, earth-based ingredients.
12. Noodle & Boo Ultra Safe Laundry Detergent
While gentle on your baby’s skin and the environment, this plant-based detergent is tough on stains and odors. The stain-fighting enzymes in this detergent combat any stains and odors your baby may leave behind.
- Eco friendly
- It’s also safe for the baby’s skin as it’s hypoallergenic and pediatrician-tested.
- It’s compatible with both conventional and high-efficiency washing machines.
Is it better to buy an unscented detergent for my baby?
While some babies are OK with a scented detergent, it may irritate some babies’ sensitive skin. Some parents or caregivers like unscented detergent because it’s one less potential trigger to be concerned about.
Between liquid or powder detergent, which is better?
During laundry, liquid detergents naturally rinse out easier, leaving less powder and flakes behind. With this in mind, a liquid detergent may be preferable for babies with sensitive skin.
Can you use fabric softener on baby clothes?
Some baby clothes are treated with special flame-resistant chemicals for safety reasons. You should always check the care label on your baby’s clothes before washing them with fabric softener, as it can reduce their effectiveness.
When should I stop using a baby detergent?
Generally, baby-specific detergent is optional, so you can stop using it whenever you like. Many parents use baby detergent as their children age since they work perfectly on all sensitive skin types.
However, you can always switch to an “adult” detergent with similar ingredients whenever you feel ready.
Can you use regular detergent on baby clothing?
When shopping for baby-friendly laundry detergent, it is unnecessary to purchase a baby-specific detergent.
Several laundry detergents labeled “Free & Clear” are suitable for all ages. As these formulas do not contain fragrances or dyes, they tend to be gentle on sensitive skin and powerful enough to clean various messes.
Since babies can have sensitive skin, choosing the best laundry detergent for babies with sensitive skin when shopping is the right thing to do as a parent.
Remember, when purchasing laundry detergent for your baby, a safe bet is to look for words such as dye-free, scent- or fragrance-free, and chemical-free when shopping.
You should go for hypoallergic and dye-free detergents; do not purchase those with harsh brighteners or industrial-strength bleach solution, as they will cause more harm than good to your sensitive baby’s skin.
Remember to run all your baby’s clothes through a wash cycle before wearing them for the first time to remove irritating substances from the clothes themselves.