Wherever you see a baby, indeed, stains follow. As a parent or caregiver, dealing with stains is a part of daily activity until the baby comes of age.
Desitin is a diaper rash cream formulated with zinc oxide.
This cream is mainly used on babies to soothe or treat diaper rash and, if not used the proper way, can stain clothes, couches, and even carpets.
Fortunately, you can learn how to get Desitin out of couch with the correct information and tools.
This article discusses ways to get Desitin out of couch. We also share with you a step-by-step guide on how to go about it the right way. Read On
How To Get Desitin Out Of Couch
Zinc oxide is the main active ingredient in Desitin, and many other diaper rash creams often leave a stain behind when in contact with any surface (smooth or rough surfaces).
Surfaces like clothes, upholstery fabric, and carpets that quickly absorb grease can easily be ruined by the smeared Desitin if not cleaned the right way.
Here are easy methods to take whenever you’re wondering how to get Desitin out of couch.
- Hot water
- Microfiber cloth
- Baking soda
- Borax detergent
- Soft brush
- Dawn dish soap and vacuum (optional)
1. Using Baking Soda and Water
- First, act quickly. Clean it up immediately to reduce any chances of it getting absorbed into the upholstery.
- Use hot soapy water on a microfiber towel to scrub the affected area and get it damped.
- Next, put baking soda on the affected area, and the wet surface turns it into a paste.
- Allow the baking soda paste to sit for about 10-15 minutes. After that, scrub the area with the baking soda paste and vacuum it up.
- Bring your laundry detergent (a small amount of Borax) and sprinkle it onto the affected areas. After this is done, use a soft brush to rub the tiny grains of the Borax laundry detergent into the affected areas. By this, you must have successfully eliminated the Desitin stains.
- Go over the stained area again with your wet microfiber cloth to ensure no residue is left on the upholstery.
- Finally, allow it to dry. Repeat these steps if you see any leftover stains. In the end, you’ll be amazed by how the stubborn Desitin stains have been eliminated.
2. Using Vinegar
Using distilled white vinegar is another effective method to get Desitin out couch.
- Spray bottle
- Carpet cleaner
- Febreze (to eliminate the vinegar smell and soften the fabric)
Vinegar is usually my go-to product for cleaning, particularly greasy pots and floor surfaces, even on a wooden table.
Since anything hot can dissolve grease, I decided to use hot vinegar.
- Get your gallon of cleaning vinegar and pour some into the mug.
- Set the timer for 1-2 minutes. Now put the vinegar into the spray bottle and spray it on the stained area of the couch right away.
- After that, use a carpet cleaner to suck up every greasy residue on the couch.
- Leave the couch for 1-3 hours until it dried. By now, you should have a clean couch.
Pro Tip: Ensure to check the temperature of vinegar in the spray bottle. If the temperature is down, heat it again.
You need a degreaser product to remove oil and grease. Most people use dish soap like the dawn; it won’t work alone for Desitin.
Diaper cream is serious. Using Goo Gone to degrease your couch is an effective method.
- Use a spoon to apply the Goo Gone to the Desitin on your upholstery fabric.
- Rub Goo Gone into the material and work your way around the stained areas to help get it further into the fibers to stop the sticking mechanism of the diaper cream.
- Goo Gone is very sticky, so you need to rinse the stained area with a cloth and hot water to remove it from your fabric. As the Goo Gone disappears, it takes the Desitin stain.
- Go over the stained area again with a cloth to ensure no residue is left on the upholstery.
- Finally, allow it to dry.
- How To Get Desitin Out Of The Carpet
- How To Get Desitin Out Of Clothes
- How To Get Spit-Up Stains Out Of Couch
I hope this article has enlightened you on how to get Desitin out of couch.
Remember, when dealing with Desitin, you need to treat it as a grease/oil stain.
Use a solvent cleaner and white rag when removing the stains. Also, blot from the outside toward the middle to prevent the stain from spreading.
Keep blotting until the stain is gone. Do you know anything that can get Desitin out of couch successfully? Let us know by leaving us an email.